Do you know what Middle-Of-The-Night-Insomnia exactly is?
Middle of the night insomnia is a condition where the sleeper does not have any problem going off to sleep at an appropriate bed time but they wake up during the middle of the night and are wide awake thereafter.
It can be frustrating for those who suffer from the condition since it directly affects the different aspects of life such as their wellness, mood; activeness of the brain, performance at work, sex drive, and even relationships.
Different causes of Middle-Of-The-Night Insomnia
If you are one of those who are stuck with the condition, you would like to cure it at the earliest. And to do so, you must also know what causes the condition.
Here are some of the common causes of middle-of-the-night insomnia:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
- Too much consumption of caffeine during the day
- Consumption of alcohol
- Certain prescription medications and over-the-counter medications
- Use of nicotine
- Mental conditions such as depression, anxiety, and stress
- Drop in the levels of Progesterone for women
- Medical conditions such as GERD, acid reflux, and arthritis
It might come as a surprise but sleeping on an old, worn out mattress may also cause one to suffer from middle of the night insomnia. So it is important to check if you need to buy mattress online or exchange that old pillow of yours.
Tips to cure Middle-of-The-Night-Insomnia
Even though the condition can be quite frustrating and testing for those who suffer from it, its cure can be very simple. If you are prepared to make a few simple lifestyle changes, you can see a remarkable difference in the condition.
So here are a few Do’s and Don’ts to watch out.
- Work hard to have a consistent sleep schedule
- Just before bedtime, invest some time in mindful activities such as meditation, breathing exercises or maintaining a gratitude journal
- If you are a light sleeper who can wake up at the drop a needle, you can choose soothing background music for yourself or create white noise.
- Reading a light book is also known to be conducive to sleep. So whether it is when you wake up in the middle of the night or when it is time to hit the bed, pick up that book and give it a good read.
- Check that your mattress and pillow are in good shape and do not need to be replaced. If yes, check the best mattress price and place an order today.
The Final Word Given that the above list of suggestions must help you overcome might-of-the-night-insomnia. If making the above lifestyle changes also does not do much to improve your condition, consult a doctor to check if it is any medical condition that is responsible for the same.